Search This Blog

Thursday, 14 July 2016

#Spotlight & Interview - Wraidd Elfennol series by Morgan Sheppard


Add to Goodreads  |  BookLikes


Genre:

Young Adult, Fantasy, Novella

Synopsis:

Marella has grown up on the island of Wraidd Elfennol, where humans, animals and the very Elements live in harmony together.
       
Since she was a youngling, the draw towards Water has always been the strongest. It is one of the reasons Marella wants nothing more than for that Element to be her Primary, so she can become a Water Weaver, gifted in hydromancy. Each youngling goes to the main village of Charon for the Test to find out which of the Elements they are strongest in, which in turn, will determine their futures.

Marella’s best friend since childhood, Daren, is also going for his Test. They have been best friends since childhood, getting into many adventures together, as their families spend rest days together.

Yet when the day comes where their fates will be decided, doubts and insecurities creep into Marella’s mind. What happens when you don’t get what you wish for? And what happens if you do? At this time of their lives, when their paths are about to take Marella and Daren to different places, will they get what they wish for?

Amazon  |  B&N  |  CreateSpace  |  Kobo  |  Smashwords


Marella is currently #FREE on Smashwords until 31st July







She sat down on one of the tree stumps by the lake. She had used this as her seat for so long that Daren was positive it matched the shape of her posterior. Marella huddled up into her jacket and blew on her cold hands, as she wished that she’d brought some gloves with her. Instead, they were warm and snug upstairs in her bedroom. She put her hands in the pockets at the side of the jacket and hunched forwards over her knees. As Marella stared out towards the centre of the lake, she felt a stillness enter her soul. No matter what her strongest Element turned out to be, this lake would still be hers, inasmuch as it was anybody’s. 

She sat there and enjoyed the sounds that surrounded her. Marella watched the sky as it changed colours. It looked promising for the day ahead, as there were already hints of blue showing, with a high, wispy cloud bank she knew would burn away in the morning sunshine. She heard the birds in the trees, singing their morning chorus; the waves as they lapped the shore, and even the wind as it rustled gently through the trees, resplendent with their new crown of leaves. She immersed herself into the sights and sounds that were part of the lives of those who lived in and around the lake, and knew herself to be blessed for no other reason than she was part of it on that particular morning.

Add to Goodreads  |  BookLikes


Genre:

Young Adult, Epic, Fantasy

Synopsis:

The young maiden, Marella, was born to the island of Wraidd Elfennol, a place balanced by the four Elements of nature – Earth, Air, Fire and Water. The essence of each Element contained in sacred artefacts ensuring the balance of life. 

Every year, the community from across the island gather for the Summer Solstice. It is at this celebration the Lords and Ladies of Wraidd Elfennol make an astounding announcement. The sacred artefacts are missing. They then proclaim that four individuals, along with their animal Life Partners, will be selected to restore the balance. 

Marella and her otter, Nixie, are chosen because of their link to the Element of Water and along with her, three others – each in-tune with a different Element. 

Together they embark on a quest to either find the missing artefacts or somehow create new ones. As the world around them changes, danger lurks with every challenge the group face. They must hurry as the Elements need to be restored before a year and a day have passed. 

Failure is not an option or the world as they know it will cease to exist. 


Amazon  |  Amazon (Paperback)  |  B&N  |  CreateSpace  |  Kobo







Nixie led Marella to the spiral beneath the water. The stones were smooth beneath her hands; as they had been here for years. Marella didn’t know what they were made of, but she felt a frisson of reassurance every time she touched them.

 Marella started at the outer stone and kept her left hand in touch with the stones. She started to swim around the spiral towards the centre. She always worried her breath would run out before she reached the middle, but knew from experience there would be enough. 

Nixie swam alongside her, keeping pace, and watched Marella carefully. When she had first attempted the dive, she hadn’t been able to make it to the centre, before she ran out of breath, and he had had to help her get to the surface. He knew her lungs had strengthened from all the swimming they did and now she was more than capable of swimming the spiral.

Marella swam slowly and respectfully, ensuring her hand remained in constant contact with the stones. As she neared the centre of the spiral, she felt the current suddenly change direction. It started to swirl around her and made it difficult for her to continue. The hair that had come free of the braid was swept in front of her eyes. With her right hand, she tried to pull it away so that she could see again, whilst still making sure her left hand touched the stones. Just as she was able to pull it away, her hand touched the centre stone.

There was an explosion of air and light within the water and Marella felt her body being dragged down. “NIXIE!” she screamed before everything turned black and her senses dulled.

How did the idea for this series, and set of characters, come about? 
I had one scene in my mind which just wouldn't disappear! It is the one at the beginning of Water Weaver when Marella is with Nixie and swims the stone spiral. I wrote it down basically to just get rid of it out my head, but it soon had a life of it's own. Marella and Lani were set as soon as they announced themselves. It was Daren and Kai who couldn't decide on their names. In the end, I chose Kai because it has links with Fire and Water, and I knew that was important!

Is there any of you in a character? (Which one?) 
There is something of me in all the characters, but I most especially empathise with Marella. She is all Water, and I can see many similarities with myself. Funnily enough, so can the people who know me too!

Do you have other ideas for future books not in this series?
I don't have any concrete ideas as yet, my mind is still full of the world of Wraidd Elfennol. However, whatever I do, I will stick with the Welsh theme, whether mixing it fantasy or not. 

Where did you get the idea for utilising the four elements into your series from, and how long from idea to putting it all into action?
I wanted a 'natural' theme for the story, and you don't get more natural than the Elements. I love the checks and balances you get when working and seeing the Elements, and I wanted to show that in the stories. I started writing Water Weaver in 2014 and it was published in October 2015. Marella was originally part of Water Weaver, but I thought it was too long. As there was a natural finish, I broke that part of the book away. The Wraidd Elfennol series was only ever meant to be a trilogy but things change.

How do you write, is it by page, chapter or just go with the flow?
I definitely just go with the flow. I am currently a stay-at-home mum, with different school hours to contend with each day. This means that I usually get between 2 and 3 hours each day to write in peace. However, if my children are on holiday or sick, then I write whenever I can. Life can, and does, get in the way, but I write whenever possible. 

How important are the names in your book?
The names are very important and they all have meaning and relevance to that particular character, in that particular book. For example, the four main characters of Water Weaver are Marella means Shining Sea, Daren is Welsh for Burnt Hill or Land, Lani is Greek for Sky or Heaven, whilst Kai means Ocean in Hawaiian and also has a Scottish meaning of Fire. 
                
Did you choose them based on how they sounded or looked, or was it completely random?
I used a number of different etymology websites to find names related to the Elements. I tried originally to stick with Old English and Welsh, but quickly found out that I needed a broader range. Also, there are some gorgeous names in other languages that I wouldn't have been able to use if I had stuck with just English and Welsh.

Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?
I would just like to thank everyone who has taken a chance on a new Fantasy author. I hope that you enjoy the world of Wraidd Elfennol as much as I do.

​​I am a wife, a mother, a sister, a daughter, a friend, and a lover. I am many things, been given many labels, but I can say that I am just ‘simple complicated me’. Always a prolific reader and dabbler in my younger days with short stories, poems, and limericks, I am now creating my own fantasy worlds.

Favourite quote is “You have to “aim high and reach for your dreams”
Favourite colour is rich purple
Favourite food would be chocolate! 
Favourite time of day is nighttime and I love the moon in all her beautiful phases. 
Favourite season has always been Autumn/Fall. I love the rain and thunderstorms.
And join in the fun with my Book Group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MorgansElementals/

​I welcome your company as I walk my path.



Website  |  Goodreads  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Tsu  |  Amazon  |  BookLikes  |  Google+  |  Smashwords



No comments:

Post a Comment