Search This Blog

Friday, 1 April 2016

BLOG TOUR & REVIEW - Clouded Hell by JR Gray



I survive on avoidance. Physical pain to avoid the mental. Disposable flesh to avoid relationships. Work to avoid attachment. My club became my empire of avoidance. Inside the ring millions are won and lost. The fight is confined to breaths, actions and reactions, fists and pain. Rules don’t exist. Only my opponent exists.

I’d been avoiding my needs for far too long when Remi stumbles into the Inferno and I’m hungry. The promise of a submissive with no attachment is far too tempting. I can’t resist him. He was only supposed to be a distraction, but I know I'll never get over him. There isn't a chance in this clouded hell.







Excerpt

It's fucking hell being with you. Has anyone ever told you that?"
His grin broadened. "The whole world is hell, doll. At least with me you get a reprieve from the sun."
"So this is hell at night?"
"I like to think of it as Clouded Hell. One of the rare cool days you've got to hold on to when everything else won't quit."
He lifted his hand again, and instead of smacking me like I expected, he cupped my cheek and brought his forehead to mine. I fucking melted, right there in his inner circle of hell, and I wouldn't
have changed it.

5 out of 5 (exceptional)


Independent Reviewer for Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

I'm gonna have to start with a bit of a confession. I was asked to read this, I didn't look too closely at the blurb, just that Gray wrote it, and after reading the Bound series a short time ago, I just said yes.

I will also admit to starting to read this an wonder whether I would finish it. Here's why. A long while ago, I was asked to read a book the was loosely, very VERY loosely similar to this, in that both parties needed physical pain. I couldn't read THAT book. I HATED that book. 

BUT! THIS book?? Awesome, absolutely freaking awesome. 

YES, its very dark.
Yes, both Remi and Dante need that pain, but they feed that off each other.
yes, both men are walking across the line of legal and illegal activities. 
Yes, its written, in the first person, from both men's POV (lalalalalalalalalala, yeah yeah, I know, I KNOW!!!)

And it really is awesome. But not in a lovey dovey way, not in a hearts and flowers way. In a way that touches you, deep, in here *touching heart* regardless of all those yeses up there, regardless of the subject matter, or the way its delivered. We get deep into each man's soul, and each soul is a dark and as broken as the other. They NEED each other, not just for release, but just BECAUSE.

You don't get it, not all of it, in one go. You don't get why Dante still mourns his husband after 5 years. You don't get why Remi needs to keep his secret, just what Remi and Kai's relationship is really based on. I'm still not 100% sure I get it all, and this may well **insert gasps!** require a reread, and ya'll know how I feel about that.

I don't wanna gush, because this NOT a fluffy romance, I have doubts as to whether Gray could write such a book, and usually, I can gush about those and its an acceptable review. I CANNOT gush about this book. I CAN tell you, though, that this book is not an easy read. It is not one of those books you can breeze though and jump straight into the next one. I couldn't. I had to play cards, facebook and twitter about last night when I went to bed, because I could not bring myself to start a new book. My mind was whirling around about how to right this review and NOW, I'm waffling. I'm sorry. It made me, not quite cry, but very very nearly.

Bringing all that together, if you like darker books, with badly broken characters, who can't quite bring themselves to say what they need til pushed, HARD, then this might well be one for you. 

5 deeply damaged but shining oh-so-brightly stars

**same worded review will appear wherever I can find this book, upon release**


* I received this book from Gossip Girl in return for a fair and honest review. *

About J.R. Gray

When not staying up all night writing, J.R. Gray can be found at the gym where it's half assumed he is a permanent resident to fulfill his self-inflicted masochism. A dominant and a pilot, Gray finds it hard to be in the passenger seat of any car. He frequently interrupts real life, including normal sleep
patterns and conversations, to jot down notes or plot bunnies. Commas are the bane of his existence even though it's been fully acknowledged they are necessary, they continue to baffle and bewilder. If Gray wasn't writing…well, that's not possible. The buildup of untold stories would haunt Gray into an early grave, insanity or both. The idea of haunting has always appealed to him. J.R. Gray is
genderqueer and prefers he/him pronouns.

Connect with J.R. Gray:
 Website JRGrayBooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment