Search This Blog

Tuesday, 16 February 2016

SPOTLIGHT & REVIEW - Sinking by Sarah Armstrong-Garner

Add to Goodreads

Sinking: Book One of the Sinking Trilogy

By Sarah Armstrong-Garner


Coming February 2016 
Love2ReadLove2Write Publishing, LLC
  

Back Cover Copy:


Jocelyn washes up on the shore of eighteenth century Ireland, alone, naked, and missing all of her memories. Taken in by a lonely old woman full of plots and schemes for the lovely yet enigmatic creature, Jocelyn knows only one thing. She longs for the sea with every ounce of her being. Yet it tried to kill her.

Aidan Boyd loves two things. His ship and the sea. When Jocelyn is thrust upon his vessel in the midst of his superstitious crew, he finds himself intoxicated by her—willing to give up everything for her. He soon finds he cannot live without her.

But something holds Jocelyn back. The whisper of another's love. The embrace of water. Does she belong to this world? Or could Jocelyn possibly be from the sea?

 1.                  When did you decide to write a novel?

A – I’ve always wanted to be a writer. In sixth grade, I wrote my first play and had the kids act it out during recess. But I didn’t know I wanted to write a book until Sinking came along. I fell in love with the story jumping around in my head, and I wanted to explore it more. Writing it out on paper was my only relief, and soon it became a book. 

2.                  Can you tell me how you came up with the story for Sinking?

A – I came up with the concept for Sinking after my mother had passed away. I was in the shower, the water running down my face, when I started daydreaming about what it would be like to be a mermaid and what would happen if you didn’t know. How would you find out who you are? I think it was a way for me to get away from the darkness of reality. Daydreaming about Jocelyn and the world she came from helped me with the emptiness by allowing me to leave my world behind for a few hours. It gave me room to breathe.

3.                  What was one of the most surprising things you learned while researching for your novel?

A – One of craziest things I learned while researching for the Sinking Trilogy is there is a jellyfish, called Turritopis Dohrnii, which is immortal. It is able to de-age when in crisis, therefore able to live forever. This tiny creature plays a huge part in the next book, Drifting.

4.                  How long have you been writing? Can you share your publishing journey?

A – I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. My mother would type out my stories on her typewriter when I was too young to write. But I only began the publishing journey within the last couple of years. Sinking was almost done, and I knew I wanted others to read it. I looked into traditional publishing, small presses, indie publishing, agents, managers, and so on; each one as daunting as the other. With the ever-changing publishing world it’s hard to find the best choice. When Love2ReadLove2Write Publishing said they would publish Sinking, it felt right. My book had found its home.

5.                  What about the cover. Can you tell us a little about that? Who designed it/Where did you get the idea for it?

A – I love Sinking’s cover! Sara Helwe was the digital artist who created what I could only put out with words. She is amazing. The cover is based on a scene in the novel, when Jocelyn, my main character, is sinking into the ocean. Sara took my description and direction from my publishing house and went to work. When I saw the first draft of the cover I feel in love. She was spot on. I was literally jumping up and down, bursting to tell everyone about it. It was so exciting.

6.                  Do you have a specific writing style? Do you like to write books start to finish or as scene come to you?

A – Writing is like driving a car. There are rules you have to know, but sometimes you break them to get there faster. When my characters begin to write the story, and I’m just reading what is happening to them, that is when I enjoy writing the most. I never truly know where the story is going to go; I have an idea but things change in life and in stories. The discovering the unknown is when the best twists happen.

7.                  What was the hardest part about writing your book?

A – Sneaking around and finding places to write without kids. When I began writing Sinking I was pregnant and was able to write on my own schedule. After my first baby it became harder, and I could only write when she allowed me. After three kids, I’ve found out night is the only time I can write, when the house is quiet and my sleep-deprived brain is on high alert.

8.                  Who are your author heroes? Who would you love to chat with over a cup of coffee, living or from a bygone era?

A – I absolutely love Eva Ibbotson and Dean Koontz. I fell in love with reading when I read Dean Koontz’s From the Corner of His Eye. I would love to talk to him about how he comes up with his concepts. I read all of Eva’s young adult novels after discovering her novel, Company of Swans. They have become my comfort reads after a long week and I just want something to hug my soul.

9.                  Do you listen to music while you write, or prefer silence? Favorite snacks?

A – I listen to music, but only instrumental. If there are words in the song, I end up typing them instead of writing the book.

10.              What’s next? Tell us about future books.

A – Right now I’m working on two projects, Drifting – Book Two of the Sinking Trilogy and Autumn in Neverland. I don’t want to give too much away, but Drifting continues with Jocelyn after she is returned to the ocean. There is a lot more of the underwater world in this book and her struggles to grow into the woman she is destined to become. Autumn in Neverland is a work in progress about a young woman who finds herself in Neverland. As you can tell, I love fantasy adventure.

11.              What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

A – When I’m not writing I’m either at work at the local TV station or with my family doing something ridiculously fun like pulling the TV outside to watch a movie under the stars or going snow sledding after a snow storm.

12.              Do you have any advice for other writers?

A – Yes, get into a writers group, go to conferences, go to lectures, talk to other writers, read about your craft, and read a lot of books in your genre. Never ever stop learning about your craft.

13.              Do you have anything specific you wish to say to your readers?

A – Thank you! I am so excited for you to read The Sinking Trilogy. I hope they become a comfort series that you can revisit time after time.

14.              And most important: Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?

A – Kid temperature mocha.

4 out of 5 (very good)


This is a Historical Young Adult Fantasy that starts off in Ireland, but travels to China and India. Jocelyn is washed up on the beach with no memories of her own. She is completely naked and clutching a locket. She is found by a lady, who decides that she will take the locket for herself as she orders her servants to take care of the girl.

As the story progresses, you learn more about Jocelyn at the same time as she learns about herself. She has two human men who show interest in her, but the ocean also speaks to her and she feels an amazing pull to return - to what or to whom, she doesn't know.

This story moves smoothly throughout, building to the cliffhanger ending that will leave you wanting to know more. This is a wonderful story of mermaids and magic with a historical twist. Recommended.

* I received this book from the author in return for a fair and honest review. *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!


Sarah Armstrong-Garner lives in Northern California with her husband and three
children, and get this. Not only is she an author, screenwriter, and
photographer, she also shoots indie films with her husband. Sinking is her debut novel.

You can visit SarahArmstrongGarner.com to learn more about her and her upcoming
releases.

Social Media Links:

Website: http://www.saraharmstronggarner.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SarahArmstrongGarner/ 
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SarahTwyla
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/33156298-sarah-armstrong-garner 
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/sarahtwyla/
Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarah-armstrong-garner-b35b6932


Click HERE to join in the Facebook Party!


Amazon UK  |  Amazon US  |  B&N  |  Kobo  |  iTunes



Sunday, Feb. 14th, Love2ReadLove2WritePublishing.com: Blog Tour Schedule

Monday, Feb. 15th, MicheleIsraelHarper.com: Book Review

Tuesday, Feb. 16th, archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.com: Unique Author Interview

Wednesday, Feb. 17th, kathyboydfellure.wordpress.com: Behind-the-Scenes Peek

Thursday, Feb. 18th, afesmith.com: Guest Post by Sarah Armstrong-Garner

Friday, Feb. 19th, lifeofanerdishmum.blogspot.com: Unique Author Interview

Monday, Feb. 22nd, janeenippolito.com: Book Review

Thursday, Feb. 25th, Facebook Launch Party

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this interview and review. I'm super excited you like Sinking!

    ReplyDelete