Search This Blog

Saturday, 13 June 2015

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT (14 of 14) Payne Hawthorne, Something Very Special.



 
 
We reached the end of our very first Author Spolight week. I hope you've found something new to read, someone new to follow, and maybe made a friend along the way. We end with something very special.

One night, I didn't sleep well, and when I woke, the following passage was running through my brain:

She was excited, the lady standing on the porch, and a little scared. She knew they wouldn't hurt, these wolves, but still. They came out the tree line almost as one, and almost as one stopped, and sniffed the air. They had scented her. She didn't know who was who, except for three. The largest two wolves had to be Cain and Jacob, and the golden wolf at the front could only be Lumen.

They suddenly shifted back to human form, all of them naked as the day they were born. You would think, after all this time, she would be okay with their nakedness, but she still blushed slightly. On Jacob's command they had shifted. The woman on the porch was a stranger, they had not met her before, but something told the wolves she was no threat. She carried an equine scent, but it wasn't hers. She had a much sweeter scent. A sort of scent that reminds you of home. It was Lumen who figured it out first, clever wolf that she was. She launched herself at the woman on the porches and grabbed her in the tightest hug she had ever received. "Hello author lady!!"

I sent it to Payne, not expecting anything, just wanted her to know that this had kept me awake all night!

This is what I got back!! I was so freaking excited, I read it like, 4 or 5 times in a row!!


Short Story, Dormant Desires Fan fiction


Beginning by Debbie Attenborough, (with additions and edits by Payne)

Ending by Payne Hawthorne
 
Part One:
She was excited, the lady standing on the porch, and a little scared. She knew these wolves wouldn't hurt her, but still, they were enormous. Their white fangs gleamed in the glare from the snow and small growls erupted at sporadic intervals. They came out of the tree line almost as one, and almost as one stopped, and sniffed the air. They had scented her. She didn't know who was who, except for three. The two largest wolves had to be Cain and Jacob, and the golden wolf at the front could only be Lumen. They suddenly shifted back to human form, all of them naked as the day they were born. You would think, after all this time, she would be okay with their nakedness, but she still blushed slightly.  

On Jacob's command they’d shifted. The woman on the porch was a stranger, they had not met her before, but something told the wolves she was no threat. She carried an equine scent, but it wasn't hers. She had a much sweeter scent. A sort of scent that reminds you of home. It was Lumen who figured it out first, clever wolf that she was. She launched herself at the woman on the porch and grabbed her in the tightest hug she’d ever received. 

The rest of the pack hesitantly came to the bottom of the steps and waited as Lumen continued to hug and giggle right along with the stranger.  

“Aye pup, who is she then? I’ve still no idea.” Jacob grumbled.

Lumen turned and bubbled, “She is our seer.”  

Allison slid in next to Jacob and grinned, “Like an oracle?”  

Murmurs went through the pack of naked humans. The lady on the porch blinked at the gathered and nodded, “Yes Allison, that is fairly accurate.” 

A small voice piped up, “You mean like you can see the future?”  

The lady peered around Cain as he moved aside for Amber to poke her head to the front. “Yes child, sometimes I can see the future. Mostly I just reveal the lives of others, in my stories.” She scanned the gathered, “You are all of tremendous import in the hidden world of the Fae.” She offered a loving smile to Jacob and Allison, “Especially the two of you.” Then she nodded at Cain, “And you Cain I’ve watched for eons. I find you the most fascinating individual to ever walk the earth. I think it especially interesting you choose to stay out and among the humans instead of dwelling with us in the other dimension.”  

Cain shrugged, but offered no explanation.

“Would you like some tea?” The lady offered.  

The men grumbled and the women nodded. Samantha said, “We won’t all fit inside, it’s such a small cabin.”

“Oh you will, just see. I’d love to have you as my guests today.”

As per protocol, Jacob led and was the first up the steps. He hesitated at the entry and peered inside, “Aye, dis is amazing.” He turned and jerked his head toward the inside of the cabin, “It’s truly a magical realm.” Then he looked at the congenially smiling host, “Are ya telling us the truth? Just fer the day? You’ll nay entrap us in a time warp?”   

The lady shook her head, “It’s a fair enough question Jacob, but no, I just want to dwell in real time with you at present. It will add to my stories to have met you in the flesh.” She bumped her chest and her cheeks tinted again, “Perhaps flesh was not the best way to put it. I must say you are quite the specimen Jacob. It’s been a fair day since I was around so much exposed male.”

Samantha came up next to Jacob, Cain closely behind her. “Are you Fae? I know you cannot lie if you are.”  

The lady nodded again, “Yes Samantha, I am. You are correct, I am incapable of lying.”  

The pack of shifters all took turns looking at Jacob and then at Cain. It appeared as if they were communicating, although no words were spoken. At length, Jacob turned back to the lady and gave her a sharp nod, “Aye, we’ll stay and have some tea. Do ya mind our nakedness?”

She smiled and her eyes danced in glee. “No-no, not an issue. I’m quite enjoying myself already.” She entered first and disappeared around a corner.  

Jacob held Allison’s hand and they entered first. Cain and Samantha were next. Mathew ordered Lumen back down to his position and said something about bringing up the rear, she obeyed immediately and lithely danced her way past the others and down into the snow to take Mathews hand. Samuel and Abigail followed Samantha and Cain, but Amber and Elijah were hesitant and hovered in the open door, peering inside.  

Mathew looked over his brother’s shoulder and asked, “They didn’t disappear did they? Can you still see them?” 

“No, they’re all there, but it’s strange…it’s nothing like the way it should be. It’s like Alice in Wonderland or something.” Elijah answered without turning his head.  

Lumen jumped up and down with impatience, “Wanna see. Fuck. See now.”
 

“Well, what ’ya waiting for?” Mathew said with a nudge on his brother’s back.  

Amber was more timid than the rest so Elijah had to tug on her to get her over the threshold, but once inside, she gasped and then giggled. “This is so cool!” 
 

Part two:

 
The lady entered with a tray covered in goodies of every imaginable kind, a large ceramic pot of steaming liquid and eleven precariously stacked cups. Everyone had found there was ample seating and each couple, still naked although unconcerned, took spots next to each other on the various love seats and couches. There was a fire crackling in the large fireplace and the lady busied herself with pouring tea.  

Allison asked, “What is your name?”  

“I am Payne.” 

“And you’re a seer?”  

Payne’s face beamed, “I am. But to be fair, I simply transcribe what I see when I dream.” 

“And you see us?”  

“I do. I’ve witnessed Cain in my visions for eons.” Her ears lifted and she tilted her chin in Cain’s direction, “He has enough of a storied past I’d never be capable of transcribing all he’s lived through.”

Cain barked a quick laugh, “Dis is truth. I myself have forgotten more dan I ever knew.” 

Samantha asked, “When did you start seeing the rest of us?”  

Payne began handing cups to her guests. When she got to the men, she purposely picked the two largest mugs.

Cain grunted, “Gratitude.”  

Jacob said, “Considerate of ye.”

“Careful, it’s hot.” Payne said and then answered Samantha’s question, “I’ve seen you since childhood Samantha. I began seeing the others perhaps a month before Jacob met Allison on the plane.” She took a seat on a padded stool and her eyes danced with light as she took in all of her guests. “You know, this is quite amazing for me. Rarely do I meet those I write about…there are cookies and biscuits. Help yourselves…I knew you were traveling this way however, and so I set up my abode here in hopes of seeing you in person. I had no idea you would stop…or shift…or stay.” She blushed again and her eyes fell to the rim of her cup, “I’m incredibly honored. Maybe a bit overwhelmed even.” 

Lumen looked confused, “What is abode?” 

Mathew whispered, “Home.”  

Lumen grinned and nodded in understanding, then blurted. “Where was it before?” 

Without preamble, Payne explained, “I live in a different dimension from that of most humans.” She looked around the expansive room and made a motion with her hand, “All of this is my home, but is merely an illusion…a figment of my imagination…no-no, don’t be afraid child. This is real enough for now, until I deem it time to move back. You see, this dimension moves at a different pace from mine…or rather, from what I am accustomed too, and so, I grow fatigued on this side. There is not enough relaxation on this side for me.”  

Abigail asked, “Do you have a mate?”  

Payne’s mouth fell in a frown, “No darling, I am alone at present. It is difficult for a seer to be mated. There are too many other worlds for me to get lost in. Too many other realities. Perhaps a Druid would equal me and understand, but Druids are too flighty to settle with one person and that is all I could stand at this point in my life. I’ve had many lovers and played the field,” her eyes took on a faraway look and she chuckled to herself. “Yes, I have some stories I will never tell.”
 
I do hope you have enjoyed this little bit of fan fiction, when Payne sent it me I was proper chuffed, so very honoured to find my ramblings that beginnings of something so awesome. Payne says, she'll try to expand some, when she gets time, but it might not be in time for you to get it in this Author Spotlight week. Maybe I'll share it with you another time, maybe I'll keep it all to myself. Its mine, you know, all mine!! **Insert wicked evil laugh!**
 
Thank you, for following this week, and if you have anything you'd like to see next time, or anything you didn't like, feel free to let me know, I'm a big girl, I can take in on the chin!!
 
Up next, In July: Darlene Kuncytes!
 
 
~DEBBIE~
 

No comments:

Post a Comment