Search This Blog

Sunday, 1 February 2015

NEW RELEASE BLITZ & REVIEWS - Bound To Survive by Sharon Gibbs

¸.•*¨*•*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤NEW RELEASE¸¸.•*¨*•*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Bound To Survive by Sharon Gibbs
Volume 1, Fantasy and Adventure
*Stand-Alone, no cliff-hanger*

http://www.amazon.com/Bound-Survive/dp/1502859777
Createspace link https://www.createspace.com/5053804

*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*Synopsis*.✫*¨*.¸¸.✶*¨`*

 In a realm where wizards govern, treachery is about to descend...
Born of prophecy, a boy is torn from the love of his family and 'Bound' with magic to survive.

Christopher is hidden from those who seek to destroy him.

Over the years, he grows discontent...

Until a secret is revealed...a journey begins...and a choice is made. A choice which will be for all in the realm.

Join Christopher and his friends as they hatch a daring escape, race with them across the country in a bid to save his love from certain death and find out how a secret will change the world they live in.

Bound to Survive is a tale of wizardly love, war and intrigue steeped in a mystical age of magic.

Copy gifted by the author, and I thank Sharon for that!

A long time ago, a prophecy was written about a boy who was The One to save the land. A time ago, a child's magic was bound, to enable him to reach adulthood and be the man he needs to be, to save him from certain death. NOW, that man joins forces with all those who have had enough, to revolt against the Lord who controls them, to fulfill his destiny.
               
VERY different to my usual reads and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Magic, witches, evil Lords and sorceresses, long held sercets and plans made far too long agao for anyone in current memory to know WHO made them. This book has it all.

I'd like to make 2 points that stood out.

1. How normal the names are!
I know this might sound odd, but nearly all the characters have regular names, Christopher, Henry, James and Peter, Elle, Albert and Rose. The baddies have more obscure names, but it was such a refreshing change to read these names and not have to worry if I was pronouncing them right in my head!
2. The time line.
It flips from then and now. But there is no warning. Once I got my head round that flip, I loved the story, but I had to go back the first time, and see if I had misread something, cos I KNEW this character had just died, then he is a child again. A simple header to the chapter would suffice, jusy so the reader knows we've gone back in time.

Once the time line converges and it all up date, the book flies, it really does. It totally clean, although some reference to ladies who follow the troops for chance of coin is made. Some action in the sword fights gets a little bloody, but nothing else. I've filed it on my Young Adult shelf. I dont know if its meant as YA but its going there cos I would certainly let my 13 yr old read it.

If you like epics, (cos these is not a stand alone, there is more to come) and like the long ass way books come together (JR Ward, and George RR Martin, especially, but in a much cleaner way) this one is for you. If you like fantasy and magic, this is for you. If you like to try first time authors, again, one for you. For this IS Sharon's first book. And I cannot wait to see what she does next!

4.5 stars, simply because of the flipiing time line thing.

4 out of 5 (very good)

I received this book from the author in return for a fair and honest review.

This book will take you back in time to when fantasy stories were epic in every good sense of the word. There is a tale to tell and you will be engrossed and want to stay with the story until it reaches its conclusion.

There are so many interesting characters in here but one who quickly wormed his way into my affections was Clarence. The dignity he showed whilst being held captive was so endearing, I couldn't help but to love him. I also loved how we had the back story incorporated in the tale although admittedly it spun my mind until I realised which time frame I was in.

Heroes with a secret past, baddies with attitude, sorcery, magic, sword and even axe play - they're all here. The world that Sharon has created is full of history and depth. This is Sharon's debut novel which I think is absolutely fantastic. I am looking forward to the release of book 2 in The Magic Within series which should be later this year.

Highly recommended for all fans of fantasy.


* ★¨`*• *•¸.•♡*• Meet the Author *♡ ★¨`*• *•¸.•♡*•

Sharon Gibbs (1969) was born in Yorkshire U.K. and immigrated with her parents to Australia in August 1971. It took until her children were grown and flown from the nest to discover her love for writing.

After being given a book from a friend Sharon, fell in love with the world of fantasy. Working full time at the local hospital, she writes when she can.

Sharon has also begun writing a selection of children's books under the pen name of Rachael Du Laurent. She lives in Adelaide South Australia on a small property with her husband and their four dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment